Function and Flow
The playroom and mudroom design project is now in full swing. I have a stab wound between the third and fourth fingers of my left hand to prove it.
Before I start documenting my progress (which I am quite impressed with), I’d like to share the goals I have for the two spaces. I shared these goals with Katharine from Housters & Co, and in the final design kit she presented these goals back to me as she understood them – here are some highlights.
The Playroom: (approximately 13′ x 21′)
- Create a cozy space suitable for young boys, but that could grow with them.
- Maintain a calm, clutter-free feeling in keeping with the rest of the house; this essentially means planning and suggesting useful storage.
- Create zones for different types of play and artwork.
- Incorporate furniture in classic forms.
- Incorporate the existing train table, play kitchen and lemonade stand/grocery stand.
- Incorporate a modern colour scheme that is inviting to children without competing with the already (way too) colourful toys.
- Determine a use for the 13’x~3′ ledge that runs across one end of the room due to our irregular sloped lot and resulting foundation.
Mudroom: (approximately 8′ x 15′)
- Create a kid-friendly entrance that is still welcoming and sophisticated while accommodating considerable everyday traffic.
- Provide a place to sit.
- Incorporate a system that allows the kids to participate in keeping the space organized.
- Display family photos.
- Maintain existing grey and white colour scheme.
The plan I am following addresses all of the above goals. So far, I am exceeding my expectations in terms of execution. The mudroom should be complete by the end of next week; the chairs might hold this up, but I’ll have done all of my work.
In my last post on this project I explained that I love calling the Ikea assembly men… But, I am proud to say that I have put together some significant pieces this week, all on my own. Now that I don’t work (yes mom, I mean “outside the home”), I feel like I have no excuse not to do these myself. And frankly, it’s been kinda fun.
By the way, did I mention that my parents are now reading this? They heard from one too many friends that I had a blog. So they asked for the URL. My mom told me not to censor myself. I won’t. But, if I say something you don’t like mom, you’re going to have to pretend you didn’t hear. I think this will be a good exercise in self-restraint.
Now – photos – you will have progress photos very soon.
The painter comes Monday for the playroom, and the deliveries will continue throughout the weekend.
Yay for change, fun, and organization!
A note about budget: I did not specify a budget for this project. I was given high and low options on many pieces and have mostly selected the low where I felt the piece still had the classic form I wanted.