Really (really) Light and Healthy Nachos
This meal idea was inspired by this post from the Fitnessista.
Derek makes fun of me when I come up with healthier substitutes for junky food. If you’re a Simpsons fan, than you know that Nachos a la Flanders are cucumber slices topped with cottage cheese. Well, Derek likes to call some of my concoctions by the same name.
If he had seen me eat these, I’m sure he would have had some smart-ass remark. But he wasn’t here, and this is what happened:
The boys were having chicken, tortillas, salsa and veg for dinner. I was not in the mood for tortillas. I’m not a huge fan unless they are hot off the tortilla maker. But I was in the mood for those Tex-Mex flavour.
1) I took out some romaine lettuce leaves that were washed and bagged in the fridge ready to go.
2) I opened a can of Eden Organic refried beans.
3) I cut up about a sixth of an avocado and mixed it with President’s Choice Organics Mild Salsa.
4) I mixed 1/3 cup of shredded Kraft reduced fat Tex Mex cheese with about 1/3 cup of the refried beans and nuked it for 45 seconds.
5) I added a dollop of the hot mixture, the avocado salsa mixture and another drop of salsa on each lettuce leaf piece.
6) I enjoyed. In peace.
And I’ll do it again, cause it was good. I think it would be a great lunch option.
Does anyone else have a spouse who makes fun of their attempts to rehabilitate known food felons?